Daily news and links for Friday
- Patriots Training Camp: Schedule, dates, everything you need to know.
- Mike Dussault talks about the report that Stephon Gilmore showed up, starts camp on PUP.
- Patriots Unfiltered 7/22: Ramping up for training camp, QB competition. (2 hours)
- Karen Guregian reports Jarrett Stidham lands on the PUP list with seven others.
- Mike Reiss tells us Stephon Gilmore reported to training camp and has been placed on the PUP list due to a partially torn quad sustained in December.
- Andrew Callahan talks about the Patriots’ big bet on WR Nelson Agholor that his stock will keep soaring and he at least remains the same perimeter deep threat he became in Las Vegas, and that he can fit in their system.
- Andrew Callahan suggests four potential Patriots trades before the regular season, two involving N’Keal Harry and Jarrett Stidham. /I can list these in the comments for those who ran out of free articles. Let me know.
- Michael Hurley previews the quarterback position: Cam Newton and Mac Jones will make for an interesting dynamic in Foxboro this summer.
- Henry McKenna (PatriotsWire) Steve Sarkisian explains why he likens Patriots QB Mac Jones to Matt Ryan.
- Evan Lazar’s training camp preview: Defense. “For the system to work, it needs a true block-eating nose tackle, sturdy edge-setters, and at least one thumping inside linebacker to take on blocks and ball carriers in the trenches.” /Good read.
- CBS Boston previews the cornerbacks: With Gilmore, the Patriots defense has the potential to be a really special unit in 2021.
- Alex Barth’s Patriots 2021 position preview: Special teams should dominate again.
- Andy Hart ranks the 10 most interesting Patriots at training camp, beginning with Bill Belichick and Cam Newton.
- Ryan Hannable considers who will be the Patriots’ most impactful front-7 defender this season: Dont’a Hightower.
- Ryan Hannable tells us Kyle Van Noy is set to throw out first pitch at tonight’s Red Sox-Yankees game.
- Isaiah Houde (PatriotsWire) Patriots LB Matthew Judon isn’t happy with NFLPA after COVID-19 protocols.
- Steph Soils reports Massachusetts House passes sports betting bill; deal with Senate before fall unlikely.
- Patriots Beat: Evan Lazar and Alex Barth break down the offensive side of the ball for the Patriots with training camp on the horizon. (78 min. video)
- Locked On Patriots podcast: Mike D’Abate and Mark Schofield discuss the optimism surrounding Cam Newton, the potential of Mac Jones, and why Jarrett Stidham might have something to prove heading into training camp. (37 min.)
- Jim Trotter (NFL.com) 2021 NFL season: One storyline to track for all 32 teams. Patriots: Can Cam Newton approach his previous Pro Bowl form?
- Mason Smoller (LastWordOnSports) 2021 AFC East All-Division Team: Offense and Defense.
- Joe Banner (The33rdTeam) The two most overrated NFL teams going into training camp: Titans and Saints.
- Joe Banner (The33rdTeam) The two most underrated NFL teams going into training camp: Chargers and Colts.
- Grant Reiter (The33rdTeam) Buyer’s remorse: Three regrettable NFL deals. No Pats.
- Frank Schwab (Yahoo! Sports) 2021 NFL preview: Russell Wilson’s displeasure leads to a critical year for Seahawks.
- Feature (The33rdTeam) The Friday Five: Mike Reiss.
- Doug Kyed (PFF) NFL informs teams that COVID-19 cancellations due to unvaccinated players could lead to forfeits, lost pay.
- Jared Greenspan (NY Post) Jets assistant coach Greg Knapp, 58, dead after bike accident. /Sad.