Daily news and links for Wednesday
- Patriots sign 2021 third-round pick linebacker Ronnie Perkins.
- Mike Dussault considers 21 burning questions for Patriots 2021 training camp: How do Smith and Henry, Bourne and Agholor change the offense? MORE.
- Mike Dussault tackles this week’s Patriots Unfiltered Q&A: Who could breakout in training camp?
- Mike Dussault’s Patriots position snapshot: Running backs.
- Paul Perillo’s NFL Notes: Gilmore plot thickens; Future is bright; QB drama? More.
- Angelique Fiske reports Gunner Olszewski, David Andrews, Chase Winovich have themselves a day at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
- Patriots Unfiltered 7/20: Position battles to watch, Pats rank high in ESPN three-year future projections. (2 hours)
- Mike D’Abate (PatriotMaven) Better ‘Sooner’ than never: Ronnie Perkins signs four-year rookie deal with Patriots.
- Logan Mullen NFL Rumors: Patriots near deal with second-rounder Christian Barmore.
- Karen Guregian talks about the “Hightower effect” on the Patriots defense. “Without their star linebacker, the Patriots lacked its defensive navigation system. Hightower is the leader of the front seven, the player who makes the defense feel confident about shutting down an offense.”
- Steve Balestrieri (PatsFans) Patriots 2021 training camp primer: Offensive Line.
- Alex Barth previews the safety position: Last year, the safety position may have been the best unit of the Pats’ defense. Despite minimal offseason attention, they should be even better in 2021.
- Mark Morse (PatsFans) Patriots roster analysis – Part 7 Linebackers and Edge.
- Karen Guregian reports J.C. Jackson considers himself a legitimate No. 1 corner. “Of course I am. I would never settle for less. I would never say I’m No. 2, No. 3. I’m No. 1.”
- Isaiah Houde (PatriotsWire) Here’s J.C. Jackson’s reaction to contract situation with Patriots.
- Kevin Tame and Bobby Thompson (FullPressCoverage) Which Patriots tight end has a more impactful season, Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith?
- Ryan Hannable highlights Matt Judon explaining his confidence in the defense, and his expectations for Cam Newton this season.
- Andrew Callahan address 10 questions ahead of training camp. No. 7: How will the offense deploy new tight ends?
- Evan Lazar counts down his ten most important Patriots in 2021. No. 1: Mac Jones and Cam Newton.
- Mike D’Abate (PatriotMaven) Will Cam Akers’ injury impact the Patriots plans at running back?
- Steve Atkinson (BelieveInBostonSports) Cam Newton opens up on ESPN.
- Jenna Ciccotelli notes Kyle Van Noy shares a hype video on Twitter ahead of his Patriots return.
- Karen Guregian notes that in a wide-ranging interview with SiriusXM radio, Tom Brady discusses his upcoming return to Foxboro, ‘It’ll be a great day for football.’
- Nicole Yang reports the Patriots will hold joint practices with with the Giants.
- Nate Davis (USA Today) NFL record projections 2021: Can Tom Brady, Buccaneers repeat as Super Bowl champs? Patriots: 9-8, 3rd in AFC East. /’Eesh.
- Ben Linsey (PFF) Three 2021 NFL training camp battles to watch for every AFC team.
- Mark Schofield (TouchdownWire) Pre-training camp power rankings. Patriots 20th: So the question facing New England is this: Can they get better, and consistent, production out of the QB position in 2021?
- Steve Palazzolo (PFF) Ranking all 32 NFL offensive line units ahead of the 2021 season. Patriots 3rd.
- Ben Linsey (PFF) Ranking all 32 NFL defensive line units ahead of the 2021 season. Patriots 15th.
- Tej Seth (PFF) Data study: Yards after the catch figures largely determined by factors before the catch.
- Adam Schefter (ESPN) Why Bucs-Pats is the most anticipated game of the regular season. (1.13 min. video)
- Frank Schwab (Yahoo! Sports) 2021 NFL Preview: After many, many bad hires, the Browns finally have their coach in Kevin Stefanski.
- Kristopher Knox (Bleacher Report) 10 NFL veterans who have more to prove to get into Hall of Fame. Cam Newton included.
- Conor Orr (SI) It’s really time to envision the end for Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.