Daily news and links for Thursday
- Game Preview: Cowboys at Patriots. Scouting the matchups, series history, tale of the tape.
- How to Watch/Listen: Cowboys at Patriots.
- Patriots-Cowboys Wednesday Injury Report.
- Transactions: Patriots sign linebacker Jahlani Tavai to the 53-man roster from the practice squad; Sign defensive back Sean Davis to the practice squad.
- Mike Dussault spotlights Dont’a Hightower coming off his best game of the season with some familiar physicality.
- Press Conference Transcript: Bill Belichick.
- Press Conferences: Bill Belichick – Mac Jones – Gunner Olszewski – Jonathan Jones – Devin McCourty – Jakobi Meyers – Matthew Judon – Dont’a Hightower.
- Patriots Unfiltered 10/13: Previewing the Dallas Cowboys, Wednesday practice report, Mac Jones’ development. (2 hours)
- Andrew Callahan says the Patriots offense must start faster – and it can through Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith.
- Zack Cox notes Hunter Henry is beginning to break out for the Patriots; Can Jonnu Smith follow?
- Matt Cassel explains how the next stage in Mac Jones’ development might come on Sunday.
- Karen Guregian believes the Patriots will learn what they’re made of Sunday.
- Dakota Randall says the Patriots are still searching for their identity, and suggests what it should become.
- Andrew Callahan sees the Patriots hoping to force QB Dak Prescott to read the defense, and hold the ball Sunday.
- Khari Thompson analyzes how the Patriots are struggling more than usual with miscues. Costly turnovers, like Damien Harris’s two crucial fumbles, and uncharacteristic penalties have hurt.
- Evan Lazar explains what makes LB Matt Judon a perfect fit for Bill Belichick’s defense.
- Zack Cox says if you were choosing a defensive MVP from the first five games of this Patriots season, there’s only one real candidate: Matt Judon.
- Mike Reiss reports Matt Judon will wear pink in honor of his mother’s breast cancer battle.
- John Andersen says the overrated Cowboys defense should be no match for Mac Jones and the Patriots.
- Andy Hart notes Mac Jones will face familiar Cowboys playmaking defender Trevon Diggs on Sunday. Jones and Diggs battled often in their time together at Alabama
- Dakota Randall Bill Belichick Lessons: Nearly five minutes, 600 words on the Cowboys.
- John Andersen says past matchups between the Patriots and Dan Quinn hardly matter this week
- Mike D’Abate (PatriotMaven) Patriots-Cowboys Week Six Injury Report: Issues continue on the O-Line. The Patriots list a total of 12 players on the report, nine of which were limited participants on Wednesday.
- CBS Boston notes Damien Harris and Shaq Mason were non-participants at practice.
- Zack Cox reports the Patriots promote LB Jahlani Tavai from the practice squad to fill the 53-man roster.
- Evan Lazar finds the offensive line is still depleted. (2.32 min. video)
- Michael Hurley suggests that in exposing Jon Gruden, you have to wonder whom the NFL is shielding, and makes his Week 6 picks. “Getting borderline shootout vibes, because the Cowboys’ pass defense is terrible. But Dallas is much better equipped to emerge victorious from such a game.” Cowboys win.
- Keith Pearson’s The Bet Box. Cowboys win 31-20.
- One Patriots Place podcast: Alex Barth of 98.5 joins Clare, Murph and Steve. (1 hour)
- Albert Breer (SI) Mailbag: Who will the Raiders hire as their next coach?
- Tim Kelly (AudacySports) Week 6 announcer assignments. Patriots-Cowboys: Jim Nantz, Tony Romo.
- Cameron Filipe (Football Zebras) Week 6 referee assignments. Pats-Cowboys: Brad Allen.
- Marc Sessler (NFL.com) Week 6 NFL underdogs: New England just another faceless entity?
- James Jackson (ESPN) NFL rookie QB tracker: Let’s check in for the strides signal-callers took in Week 5.
- Jason La Canfora (CBS Sports) Four NFL predictions that were big whiffs: Admitting mistakes about Cowboys, Patriots and more.
- Andrew Brandt (SI) Business of Football: The NFL is losing its lawsuit against St. Louis, but has been in situations like this before.
- Scott Pioli (NFL.com) NFL trade deadline: An executive’s guide to player transactions.
- Staff (ESPN) Patriots, Steelers and more NFL teams join red flag emoji trend.
- Mike Tanier (Football Outsiders) Josh Allen and the NFL’s Roughing the Passer problem.
- Mark Schultz (Football Zebras) Players are adapting to the taunting point of emphasis faster than expected.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) NFL Week 6 picks. Cowboys win 33-23.
- John Breech (CBS Sports) NFL Week 6 odds, picks. Cowboys win 24-17.
- The Daily Coach (Substack) Jon Gruden’s Downfall: Gruden never built trust with his players, nor did he monitor himself. /Good read.
- Sam Farmer, Nathan Fenno (LA Times) Jon Gruden emails were part of June court filing by WFT owner Dan Snyder.
- Bruce Goldman (Law360) NFL Union’s pursuit of Washington probe emails a stretch.